3.14.2008

Answer to a question of leg protection...

I use leg protection on a case by case basis. If you have concerns about splint bone injury or just don't want to run the risk of cosmetic lumps and bumps on you horses legs than I recommend splint boots. If you have a horse that needs tendon support, I use polo wraps. They do not protect well for hard knocks and concussion though. You may want to go to a sports medicine type boot if you need combined support/concussion protection. I use bell boots in competition with shod horses or horses that bruise their heels. I also use them on horses that pull their front shoes off a lot. I will use a brushing boot on a horse that nicks himself interfering in front or behind but Splints will work just the same. Splint boots are suitable for most protection front and back and don't cost a fortune. I like Eskadron boots for competition but they are expensive. I use a basic fleece lined boot for every day protection when I need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment